FAQ about Driving Under the Influence

Q: What is “blood alcohol level”?

A: Blood alcohol level (BAC) is a term used to describe the level of alcohol in the bloodstream of a person. It may be used in court as evidence of a driving under the influence offense. The most common method of determining BAC is through a breath test, although blood and urine testing is done in some instances.

Q: Can you fight the breath test?

A: Some courts allow the defendant in a driving under the influence case to challenge the scientific accuracy of Breathalyzer tests, whereas others may allow challenges based on the particular circumstances of a test, such as improperly calibrated equipment, inadequately trained officers, or certain required procedures that were not followed.

Q: What if I lose my license but continue to drive?

A: If a person whose license has been revoked or suspended due to drunk driving chooses to drive without a valid license and is pulled over, he or she stands to suffer more serious consequences, including possible jail time.

Q: How can I get to work if I can’t drive?

A: Many people charged with driving under the influence are forced to rely on public transportation or rides from other people. In some cases, individuals charged with a DUI may obtain a restricted license, allowing them to drive with an ignition interlock installed in their vehicle. If you have been charged with a DUI, contact one of the partners at Frederick | Ganderton, immediately as there are certain deadlines that may impact your driving privileges.

Q: What is the best way to beat a drunk driving charge?

A: The best way to avoid being convicted of drunk driving is to not drink and drive. Use a designated driver, call a taxi, call a friend, or don’t drink alcohol if you are going to need to drive within a few hours. For some people, even one drink can impair their driving abilities. However, if you have been charged with driving under the influence, it is imperative to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney that understands DUI laws, and will fight for your rights.

Q: If I simply intend to plead guilty, why do I need a lawyer?

A: Even if you are guilty of drunk driving, it is imperative that you seek the advice of experienced counsel so that you can attempt to minimize your sentence.

Contact Frederick | Ganderton Attorneys at Law today at 720-588-9120, or for more information view our Areas of practice.